Just how do we "Design a Better World?"
At Waterknot, we seriously consider the impact of our business practices on our community and the planet and whole-heartedly try to make the world Better, not worse. While any product that is made in this world has an impact, we strive to make sure ours is more positive than negative. It is our sincere hope that the art and design we create will brighten someone’s day by making them laugh or smile. This may sound like a little thing, but we believe that humor, open communication and deeper personal connections will go a long way toward healing our ailing world.
While the interpersonal good that comes from sending a card to a loved one is undeniable, the fact that we use resources to make and ship that card is just as true. Because of this, we strive to be a model corporate citizen by making environmental sustainability and social responsibility primary concerns, not just afterthoughts.
Currently our efforts to design a better world are focused in the following ways:
- We donate at least 1% of the sales of our greeting cards to organizations who are working for the environment, peace and social justice
- We print only on 100% post-consumer recycled, FSC certified paper
- We pair our cards with 100% recycled (80% PC) kraft envelopes
- We package and protect our cards in plant-based, compostable and recyclable clear sleeves
- We run our studio on Green-e certified renewable energy
- We recycle (or reuse) all of our office paper and production make-ready
- We source recyclable boxes and packing materials with the highest recycled content we can find
Becoming a truly sustainable business is a lofty goal and an ongoing process. We realize there is always room for improvement. While attempting to make an honest living for our family, we aspire to be transparent in our business practices — all the while treading as lightly as we can, every step of the way. As we strive to lessen the impact our business has on our planet and the people who inhabit it, we are well aware that we don’t have all of the answers. However, we are committed to making changes and improvements as we grow and learn.
If you have ideas, thoughts or comments we’d love to hear from you.